Thursday, May 12, 2016

Upstairs in the Poetry Room


Last Thursday I visited City Lights, specifically to visit the poetry room upstairs. Two windows, five chairs, one stool, and the largest poetry selection I've ever seen in a bookstore.

I entered alone, but there was someone right behind me making my photo taking awkward and self-conscious. He seemed serious. He picked up a book, sat down in the poet's rocking chair, and did not stand up until he left the room. I must have looked at ten different books—up and down, up and down—and I sat in two different chairs. But I was serious too. We were both quiet.

Then a very tall young man entered the room, serious as well, and focused, like the other guy. Just one book and one chair.

Any less serious visitors felt uncomfortable in our presence. If they were too loud and chatty, they toned it way down to a whisper. If they were overly impressed with the poetry room, and too vocal about it, they calmed down and patiently perused the collection. Those who obviously didn't care about poetry, but were inspecting the place as a landmark, departed quickly.  

But maybe it wasn't us. Maybe the poetry room has its own power. It's possible it controlled us too.

#threepoemsthursday

7 comments:

  1. This is so interesting. Reading about City Lights makes me tear up--my father used to take me there. When I was 14 I bought a chapbook put together by the friends of a young woman who committed suicide. Why did I choose that one. And that is where I first got Howl. A poetry room. So perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Jennifer. I love this part of your history. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if it is both... the poetry room and the type of people that are serious in a poetry room and their effect on others.

    I have read very little poetry and what I have, I struggle with. I like to say it's just not the genre for me instead of trying a bit harder with it. But lately, as I've been challenging myself more and more with what I'm reading, I've thought about testing the poetry waters again. I know you dislike recommending but I'm asking anyway... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read any Mary Oliver, Rachel? To begin you could take a look at her poem Wild Geese. I know it's available online.

      Delete
    2. I haven't, but now that I look into her, I can see why you recommended her poems as a start. I've marked a couple on my to read list. I'll have to report back... ;)

      Delete
  4. How beautiful. Yes, you're so right. There's something about a room filled with poems that has the power to hush people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pia. I hope I am able to visit City Lights and feel that power for a very long time.

      Delete